It’s likely that most people use various electrical appliances on any given day. It is quite often to forget that there come real risks and hazards with the usage of electric appliances being so common in modern homes.
It is crucial to ensure that everyone in your home is aware of the principles of safe operation in order to prevent any unnecessary exposure to hazards and safety risks. From the moment we wake up and switch on the light, or boil the kettle for our morning cup of coffee – to charging our phones, washing our clothes, or watching TV in the evening, electricity plays such a major role in our lives that we often take it for granted.
It’s so commonplace, it’s easy to forget how potentially deadly electricity can be if we don’t take electrical safety seriously. And if you are staying with your family, it’s even more necessary to get to grips with electrical safety around the home. So we’ve put together a few safety tips so that you don’t forget to take the right electrical safety precautions.
Check that you’re using the correct wattage in all your fixtures and appliances
Examine all lamps, fixtures, and appliances to ensure you’re using the correct wattage as using the right bulbs can prevent electrical problems. It is advisable to use 60-watt bulbs or less. For unmarked ceiling fixtures, opt for 25-watt bulbs.
Protect your home from overloaded outlets
A common cause of electrical problems is overloading an electrical outlet. Check all outlets to ensure they are cool to the touch, have protective faceplates, and are in proper working order.
Replace or repair damaged electrical cords regularly
Damaged power cords are a serious residential electrical safety threat, and they are capable of causing both fires and electrocution. All power and extension cords should be checked regularly for signs of fraying and cracking, and they should then be repaired or replaced within time. Power cords should not be stapled into place or run under rugs and furniture. Cords under rugs pose a tripping hazard and can overheat, while furniture can crush cord insulation and damage wires.
Keep your used and unused cords tidy and secure to prevent damage
Electrical safety rules don’t just apply to power cords when they’re in use—cords also need to be stored safely to prevent damage. Keep stored cords away from children and pets for safety purposes. Avoid wrapping cords tightly around objects; this can stretch the cord or cause overheating. In order to prevent damage to the cord’s insulation and wires, never keep it on a hot surface.
Unplug all your unused appliances to reduce potential risks
One of the easiest electrical safety tips to forget which is the simplest is to unplug any appliance when not in use. Not only does this save you power by reducing any phantom drain but unplugging unused appliances also protects them from overheating or power surges.
Keep electrical devices and outlets away from water to prevent shock
Water and electricity is the most hazardous combination. To make sure your home is electrically safe, keep electrical equipment dry and away from water to prevent damage to appliances and to protect yourself against personal injury and electrocution. Always remember to have dry hands while handling electrical appliances. Keep electrical appliances away from plant pots, aquariums, sinks, showers, and bathtubs in order to lower the risk of water and electricity coming into contact.
Give your appliances proper space for air circulation to avoid overheating
Due to lack of proper air circulation, electrical equipment can overheat and can lead to an electrical fire hazard. Always ensure your appliances have proper air circulation and avoid running electrical equipment in enclosed cabinets. It’s also recommended to store flammable objects well away from all appliances and electronics for the best electrical safety.
Always follow appliance instructions for improved electrical safety
“Read the instructions” should top the list of electrical safety tips at home. Understanding how to safely operate appliances enhances both the performance of your device and your personal safety. Should any appliance give you even a slight electrical shock, stop using it until a qualified electrician checks it for problems.
Follow these tips to ensure the safety of your loved ones from any kind of electrical hazard!